Pages

Banner

Banner

9.02.2011

Meal 2 - Shepherd's Pie

So tonight I picked this Shepherd's Pie recipe once again from the Once a Month Mom website (I promise not EVERY recipe is from there! LOL)  Super easy recipe, would've been even easier if I would've used instant potatoes but I love homemade mashed potatoes!

Here's all my ingredients and the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1  pound ground beef, browned
  • 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of chicken or mushroom soup
  • 12 ounces frozen corn (or other veggie of your choice)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 0.5 teaspoon pepper
  • 0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 0.5 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 cups mashed potatoes
  • 0.5-1 cup shredded cheese (optional)

Directions:

Mix browned meat with soup; season with salt, pepper, garlic power and onion powder–or other seasonings to taste. Layer meat mixture in the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish. Top with veggies. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions (if using instant). Spoon potatoes on top of veggies. Sprinkle potatoes with cheese (if using). Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and top of potatoes are slightly golden brown and cheese is bubbly.


So I started out by browning my meat and boiling my potatoes.  I used about 10 small to medium sized russet potatoes (which was wayyy more than enough) and peeled them and chopped them to boil. 
I actually had used the pan to saute mushrooms first to throw in the freezer so it still had the mushroom juice left in it before I added the meat.  YUM! hahaha
Then I mixed the browned meat with 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and I decided to add in a small can of mushrooms cause we love them so much!!   I put it in an ungreased 8x8 pan.
I then took the corn I cut off our corn on the cobs last night and froze and put it on there.  I probably could've put more from another bag of corn but decided against it since we had the mushrooms.
Then my massive amount of mashed potatoes:
Then I just layered the potatoes on top and covered in cheddar cheese!!  Threw it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
And voila!
Yummy Yummy Yummy!
My husband pointed out that it's just like my tater tot hotdish (coming later in the month) which it actually is except with mashed potatoes instead of tots and mushrooms instead of green beans! LOL
But it was very tasty, I thought the garlic powder was kind of strong in taste but my hubby thought it was just right.  So I guess just alter the seasonings to your taste.  And I'm sure this would be tasty with any kind of vegetable(s) and with instant potatoes, it's pretty fail-proof!

We did have just a little handful left as we both ended up having seconds, but that will make a good lunch tomorrow!
Happy dinner everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment