So before I write about tonight's dinner I just wanted to say how I can't believe the response I've received from friends that are reading my blog and trying out these recipes. It's so awesome that I'm able to bring a little cooking to their homes! This started out as a challenge for myself and my husband on a mission to eat out less and me hone in on my cooking skills and it's turning out to be something awesome for my friends to read and try as well!
On that note dinner ALMOST didn't happen tonight! I forgot to take the ground beef out of the freezer to thaw until about 15 minutes before I was gonna start dinner! Crap! So I do have this really awesome kitchen gadget that is like a cast iron plate of some sort, I honestly don't know what it's made out of or how it works but it defrosts food faster and so I threw the meat on there for a little but and then just fried it halfway frozen! Ooops!
So tonight's recipe was Jalapeno Beef and Corn Bread Pie. I got the recipe from those recipe cards you receive in the mail and they want you to sign up for them to come every month or so and then charge you oodles of money until you quit. Yup well I did that many many moons ago and decided to dig through them for some recipes. I did find the recipe online as well but I changed a couple things around of course.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening or bacon drippings
- 1 (8-ounce) can creamed corn
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 canned jalapeños, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add beef. Cook, stirring continually, until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. Grease a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or baking pan. Combine cornmeal, milk, eggs, baking soda, shortening, corn and salt in a large bowl.
- 3. Spoon half the corn bread batter into prepared skillet. Spread beef over batter. Top with onion, Cheddar and jalapeños.
- 4. Spread remaining corn bread batter over filling, covering completely. Bake until browned on top and cheese is melted, about 50 minutes.
Here's all my ingredients:
Once again I used dried onion flakes instead of an onion because we don't eat onion much AND the smell of em seriously makes me vomit! And then instead of using cheddar cheese and jalapenos I decided to use pepper jack cheese! Yum!
So I took some prep pictures but they didn't really turn out unfortunately. But you just layer half the cornbread mixture in the bottom of a dish (I think mine was a 1.5 qt?) and I did spray with cooking spray and then sprinkle loose corn meal on the bottom. Then layer the beef which I browned with onion flakes, salt and pepper. Then I used about a cup or so of cheese, just until the beef was covered. And then the rest of the cornbread mixture on top. Now for some reason in the recipe it says to only use 8oz of creamed corn....yeah I dumped in the whole can! What the heck am I gonna do with half a can of creamed corn?!
Right before putting in the oven:
And out of the oven: